Monday, August 1, 2011

Treasures



I keep the box of Lily's things from the hospital in our fireproof safe and I don't really get them out very often. I think it's been a little over a year since the last time that I took them out. I felt an overwhelming urge to get the box and her little dresses, hats and blankets out and touch them over the weekend.


As pissed as I still am at my ex-ob-gyn and her lack of skill (just my opinion!), I will say that the hospital staff was very loving and gentle with her. They brought Lily to my hubby in an adorable little dress with pink and blue hands on it, a tiny pink knit hat and a beautiful pink knit blanket. I didn't get to see her until late the next day so when they brought her to me, she was wearing a white dress with a cross stitched on the front, a purple hat and a purple knit blanket. We've got all the dresses, hats and blankets in Zip.loc bags. There are still blood stains on these dresses. I didn't care and proceeded to press them into my face and take a deep breath in. These dresses physically touched her. They laid on her perfect, tiny body.


They also did 3 sets of foot prints for us which have just been sitting in the box. I scanned one last night so that I could show people her tiny and perfect feet! I've also decided to have a tattoo made of them, as well <3


There were a few tears but overall, I'm just so relieved and happy to have these items. They're my treasures...

7 comments:

Becky said...

I have the blanket that Liam was wrapped in after surgery that still has blood stains on it also. That an the outfit they dressed him in are so near and dear to me. I do not have Liam's box in a fireproof safe but have thought about it. I would def. be devastated if anyone of his items were destroyed.
I am so happy you have so many keepsakes. I have also considered a tattoo of Liam's footprints.

Erin said...

Aww..:(. My BF made copies of her daugter's footprints and glued them to the inside of Christmas cards one year. I thought it was a great way to keep her memory alive. *big hugs*

Lisette said...

((HUGS)) I am glad you have things that I have touched her sweet skin. Those items are priceless. Yes Lily had perfect little feet. I hope those little feet continue to tip toe in your heart forever.

Marie W said...

I do the same thing with Alyssa and Evan's things too. Sadly, their scent is fading....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the best tattoo ever.

Valerie said...

I'll be thinking of you today & tomorrow. What beautiful treasures you have in those dresses, blankets, and footprints. Her memory is strong in those tangible things as well as the intangible in your heart & what you do in her memory. I hope tomorrow is filled with love & hope as you remember her along with your sweet family.

(PS - LOVE the tattoo idea!!!)

Sarita Boyette said...

I LOVE Lily's footprints! So perfect & sweet. I know you cherish those clothes that touched Lily - what treasures. xoxo