Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lily's birthday...

I just got off the phone with the volunteer department at the hospital were Lily died. Oddly, I'm not really sad but in a place of numbness. Really, this is her 3rd birthday and I should just be used to this...but, then again, how does someone get used to doing things in memory of instead of a celebration, especially when you're talking about your child????

My plan is to make 3 breavement boxes to be passed out to a grieving families. I wanted to include things in the boxes that I wish I would've had when Lily unexpectedly died. Two of the most important things being a disposable camera and a hand/feet mold kit. The other items will be a baby blanket, a teddy bear, a journal, a picture frame and a list of suggested reading to deal with the grieving process...

So, I ask all of you, my babyloss momma friends, what book especially helped you during the grieving process?

7 comments:

Erin said...

Thinking of you xoxoxo....

Dana said...

Thinking of you on Lily's birthday.

The books that helped me were:

Empty Cradle, Broken Heart
An Exact Replica of a Figment of my Imagination


Could I also suggest 2 blankets for your boxes? One for them to wrap the baby in while they are holding the baby (they bring that blanket home) and one to wrap the baby in when they give the baby to the nurse for the last time.

I still sleep with the blanket that Jacob was wrapped in and I'm grateful everyday that I have it.

Rhiannon said...

I think this is a wonderful way to honor your Lily. My memory box was helpful for me and provided so much comfort. I had pictures of Harper, her dress that she wore after she was bathed and baby blankets. It was nice just having something of hers to hold onto.

Thinking of you and your sweet girl as her birthday approaches. <3

brigette said...

Thinking of you as it gets closer.. what a lovely thing to do in her honor!! Much love mama

Anonymous said...

Three years seems like an eternitiy to me! Yet in some ways, I imagine time slips away all to fast. Thinking of you and Lily. The boxes sound like a wonderful idea... I would have loved the hand/foot kit!

Sarita Boyette said...

Remembering sweet Lily with you. (((HUGS)))
I loved Angie Smith's book "I Will Carry You" and I also loved "Life Touches Life" by Lorraine Ash. Lorraine's book is about stillbirth but she has practical steps to take while you are grieving the loss of a child.

Beth said...

What a great idea!

I REALLY loved the book Empty Cradle Broken Heart. I read several books on grief and it was definitely my favorite.