Monday, May 21, 2012

What to expect when you're expecting...

** Spoiler Alert **  I'm giving my opinion on the new movie "What to expect when you're expecting" so don't read this post if you plan on seeing this and don't want my opinion...

I went to see this movie on Saturday in the spirit of (almost) always being a good friend even to my own detriment and it fulfilled all my expectations which were really, really low.  I'm not one of those rom-com kinda girls anyways but a couple of my girlfriends wanted to see it and hey, I could use a night out so I said "sure!".  It's one of those smorgasbord actor movies with a bunch of big names in it and it was filmed locally so I pushed my uterusless/baby longing emotions to the side and decided that it couldn't hurt...

Okay, here are a few of the things that pissed me off most in the movie:

1.  I was actually surprised to see that they included a miscarriage in the movie and I was like "finally, some realism in this B.O.S movie!" but yeah, they sugar coated the miscarriage issue entirely.  For one thing, it happened to the couple that got pregnant after a one night stand.  I guess it happening to the couple that had been trying for 2 years to get pregnant would just be too sad.  That pisses me off because they made the situation into "well, she must have miscarried because it wasn't the right time in her life" thing.  Which one of the last sentences spoken by this woman was "I'll have another chance when the time is right".   They didn't even scrape the surface of mourning a miscarriage with the closest attempt being a line "It hurts too much to look at your face right now" spoken by the girl to the guy.  You saw her cry right when she got the news but I didn't see any other tears and it turned into a "you don't have to be with me" now issue and not so much a "I just lost a human being inside me" issue.

2.  One of the couples is looking to adopt and they decide to do an international adoption.  What a beautiful idea but then they magically get selected a few weeks after their home study!  I mean, come on!  J Lo loses her job at the aquarium and she doesn't once blink an eye that they can no longer afford their expensive international adoption but more that she can no longer afford her dream house.  You don't see one second worth of the bureaucratic paper work crap that follows a domestic or international adoption.  You don't see them going to the FBI office to be fingerprinted.  They do their home study and magically they get a baby...how wonderful!

3.  One of the ladies ends up with a c-section and the moment that the baby is born there is a medical emergency and the dad is forced out of the room.  His sadness was actually believable but they turned it into a moment where this guy and his dad can make up.  I have serious triggers related to pregnancy emergencies and they trivialized every woman's fear of something happening during their c-section.  My only remedy would be to suggest leaving that whole scenario out or at least do it respectfully!  The nurse comes in and says "she's awake" and that's that...how wonderful! ::eye roll::

As you can tell, I'm not a fan.  I went with a group of very fertile women who have never lost a baby...so, they loved it!

I feel like a total outsider these days...






2 comments:

Emmy said...

Hey, you have my admiration for going at all! This was one of those movies I don't think sitting through would be fun, especially with a gaggle of "breeders". I am officially in awe of you. ((hug))

Nicole said...

Wow, you are brave for seeing that! The first time I saw the trailer for it, I did eyerolls the whole time, knowing it would probably be horrible. I assumed it would make pregnancy and childbirth out to be so typical and not any of the reality that we know as babyloss moms, pretty much like everything else does. :( I wish they had used the opportunity to be more realistic and include all types of mothers and pregnancies so we don't feel even more alienated than we already do. :/ But again, you are brave. And I applaud you for sitting through it even though it had triggers for you. <3